Starting your assignment

The temp starter information we send to you is important as it relates to legislation to protect you in the workplace and helps you understand how Employment Business’s work as well as detailing your rights in the work place. It explains how you will be paid and ensures that you have a clear understanding of the type of work you have been assigned to do. Please take time to read through the documents carefully and ask your consultant if you are not sure about anything.

Your consultant will send you a Temporary booking confirmation before starting an assignment. This will confirm the details of your booking including who to ask for upon arrival and the full address as well as any other statutory information you should be aware of.  For any queries in relation to this please speak to your consultant.

The boyce timesheet is online and you can find the link below:

Some of our clients require you to complete their own timesheet and in cases where this applies your consultant will provide you with the additional information.
You should keep a note of the times you start and finish work and any breaks on a daily basis. You are paid for the hours or days worked and not for any breaks taken.

Please keep a note of the hours you work on a daily basis and complete your online timesheet weekly.  It is imperative we receive your timesheet in good time to ensure we pay you on time.  The deadline for timesheet approvals is the Monday following the week you have worked.

We work hard to ensure each temp has their timesheet approved each week and in some instances we are able to delay paying you whilst we get proof of the hours you worked, but only for a reasonable period of time.

You will be given a contact name by your boyce consultant and in most cases this is the person who will approve your timesheet.  Please check this is the case and also who would be able to approve should the individual be absent from the business on the day of approval.  If you are not certain please contact your boyce consultant who will be able to help.

Timesheets are processed the week following the one you have just worked. This means you are paid 1 week in arrears. If you have completed your timesheet within the deadline, we guarantee payment by Friday of that week.

Please complete your timesheet as soon as possible so there is plenty of time for the line manager to authorise it.  You will receive a weekly payslip detailing the hours or days worked, rate of pay and statutory deductions such as Income tax, National Insurance.

If you are unwell, please CALL your consultant by phone as early as possible but ideally no later than 1 hour before your scheduled start time so that we can inform the company if you are ill.

If you are working night shifts then please ensure that you contact (by email and phone) your line manager directly to inform them of your inability to work that shift. Please also send a text message to your consultant if you have been unable to reach them.

In the event of not being able to get hold of anyone please email and one of our consultants will respond to you as soon as possible.   As part of the temp starter information pack we have sent you some information about Statutory Sick Pay for temps.

If you wish to / or need to leave an assignment we ask you to contact your consultant directly as soon as possible to let them know and so that they can notify the client.  No notice is necessary however a courtesy notice is often appreciated even if it is 1 day.

If you are unhappy in your assignment then please call your consultant as soon as possible. We will work with you to resolve any problems you may have and if the situation is not resolvable we will do what we can to secure you alternative work.


Pay, Income Tax and other Deductions

Interim workers can choose to be paid in 3 different ways;

Please note that these options are not available to all as our agreed terms recruitment terms with our clients dictate how we can pay you.

  • PAYE through boycerecruitment. This means that we are responsible for all elements of your pay and deductions as well as for introducing you and coordinating the work you do with our clients. We file weekly returns to ensure your statutory payments are made and we manage every part of the pay process.
  • PAYE through an umbrella company. We highly recommend you do some research on umbrella companies to find one that best suits your needs. We cannot advise you on your choice but there is a selection of companies that we can give you with whom we have worked with.
  • Limited Company Contract (LCC).  The “off payroll” rules.

Please note there are separate statutory obligations to this. You should be familiar with how the Tax office defines your status. See the following link for guidance.

Please ensure you understand your status and surrounding issues including IR35 and VAT registration before you speak to your          consultant. They will arrange for you to speak to a senior member of our team to discuss our role as the Intermediary on an introduction basis and assess whether you meet the criteria required.

We will conduct an assessment of your understanding of the responsibilities of your company and how your company will provide services. We will need you to complete a questionnaire, provide proof of your company’s status, your IR35 status.
All LCCs will need to hold satisfactory insurance cover, at least £1 million Professional Indemnity, and confirm their VAT status.

Please note that many clients do not accept interim workers on this basis.

The basic tax rate is 20% on earnings above your PAYE annual threshold for personal allowance (as above) and up to £34,500 for the tax year 2018-2019. These amounts it is also spread throughout the year. You will pay 20% on earnings above personal allowance thresholds (point 2) and up to:

  • £664 per week
  • £2,875 per month
  • £34,500 per year if paid only once in a year.

If your earnings on a period (weekly, monthly or yearly) are higher than these thresholds, any earnings above these thresholds will be tax at the higher rate of 40%. There is a further tax rate of 45% but only for earrings above 150,000 but I will not go into further detail about this additional UK tax rate, you could find more information here.

Your tax code determines how much tax you pay. If you tax code changes during the tax year, the amount of tax payable may change. In some cases, you may receive a refund and in others, you may have to pay more tax than previously. The reason for this is that HMRC has been looking at your earnings and they think that there needs to be an adjustment, they will send us a notification with a new tax code and they should also send you a letter to your address to let you know of the changes. Tax codes are issued by HMRC only and we cannot amend any tax code until we have received the notification from HMRC.

Understanding your tax code:

The standard PAYE tax code in 2018-19 is 1185L (2017/18 – 1150L). It represents £11,850 of tax-free income (see Q2).

If your tax code is less than 1185 or more than 1185, it just means that your tax-free amount is less than £11850 or more than £11850. This is because you may have underpaid tax in your previous years and they are collecting the underpayment through your PAYE earnings this year. If it is higher, you may have overpaid just small amount and they are refunding it through PAYE earnings too.

W1/M1 (emergency tax code) after your tax code, this may because you have started a job part-way through the tax year. This it is very common for Temps as they go from one booking to the next and from one agency to another. What this code tells HMRC is that you may have had another job before but they don’t know how much tax you already paid (your details have not yet been updated by them), therefore it assumes that you have been earning the same amount, you are earning now, throughout the year. You still have your tax free personal allowance but it may not be properly applied since it does not have the cumulative figures of previous earning and tax paid. In most cases, this code is adjusted by HMRC after the first 4 weeks but if you continue to have this code after 2 months you may need to contact HMRC. You will need to have details of all your previous employment during the tax year.

You may also notice a change in the tax paid when you start a new tax year compare to the year before. This could be because the year before your total earnings was less or up to your annual personal allowance. Once the new tax year starts your personal allowance will be apportioned (prorated) through the year, therefore if your weekly pay is above £228 (see Q2) you will pay 20% on any amount above this figure.

If you have more than one job

You may have more than one job if that is the case your tax code maybe BR or your tax code for each job will less than 1185L. This is because you can only claim one allowance of £11850 per year.

If you already are using your allowance at one employment, then you will have a BR code in the second employment. HMRC may also split your annual allowance between your jobs; if this is the case you both tax codes should add to the total allowance e.g. 685L at one job and 500L at other.

If you think your tax code is wrong please contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300. You will need your National Insurance number when you contact them.

For more information on tax codes please visit:

You will get a P45 when you stop working for an employer and you need to give this to a new employer.

The P45 shows how much money you have earnt in the current tax year (April-April) and what tax you have paid.

It will show the code that the Tax office has used to calculate your tax and whether they have you on a cumulative or week 1 tax code. The new employer is required to send this to the Tax Office who issue a code detailing how much tax they have calculated you need to pay.

If you don’t have a P45 you will be asked to complete a Starter Checklist (previously called P46).

The Starter Checklist has questions about any other jobs, benefits or student loans you have. It helps your employer work out your correct tax code before your first payday.

Your P60 shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary in the tax year (6 April to 5 April). You get a separate P60 for each of your jobs. If you’re working for an employer on 5 April they must give you a P60. They must provide this by 31 May, on paper or electronically.You’ll need your P60 to prove how much tax you’ve paid on your salary, for example:

  • to claim back overpaid tax
  • to apply for tax credits
  • as proof of your income if you apply for a loan or a mortgage

For further info

Please note: If your assignment finished before the end of the tax year you will be issued a P45 and we will not be issuing a P60.

On your payslip you will see NI (employ)’ers and NI (employ)’ees contributions in the deductions column for each pay period.

National Insurance (NI) is used to pay for: the NHS, Unemployment benefit, Sickness and disability allowances and the state pension.

NI is deducted in a similar way as the tax but the threshold and percentage rate is different.

There are tables for different categories here but most people will fall within category A which is 12% above the Primary Threshold (PT) and up to Upper Earnings Limit (UEL) which for the year 2018-2019 are:

Primary Threshold (PT) Upper Earnings Limit (UEL)
£162 per week £892 per week
£702 per month £3,863 per month
£8,424 per year £46,350 per year

On earnings above the Upper Earnings Limit (UEL) you will pay 2% on NI contributions.

We are sometimes required by law to make other deductions from your gross pay.  You will be notified by the relevant authority if this is the case and includes student loan payments, court orders for housing or employment benefits.  Please ensure you check with our payroll team if you are unsure of why these deductions are there.

Automatic enrolment is a Government initiative to help more people save for later life through their pension scheme at work. We are required to auto enrol all temporary workers aged 22 and above to the company’s pension scheme.

Under the Pensions Act 2008, all employers in the UK must put certain staff into a pension scheme and contribute towards it. Once your booking has been confirmed we will send you a letter with all the information about pension auto enrolment.
For further information please visit:

Once you start work, our standard procedure is to auto-enrol you into our pension scheme from Day 1. In some circumstances we may reserve the right to postpone this enrolment to week 12 but if this is the case your Consultant will discuss this with you detailing the reasons.

Once enrolled, our pension provider NEST will send you a Welcome Pack within 2 weeks. If you do not wish to contribute to this pension scheme you will need to contact NEST directly.
Each week your payslip will show pension contributions made by you in the deductions column. In addition we will administer the employer contribution payments into your fund. Further information is detailed in your temp starter pack or can be found


Understanding your rights

From Day 1 Workers are entitled to certain employment rights. Additionally we will send you a document detailing any specific amenities available to all workers at the company you are assigned to.

Your rights are detailed in full

They are;

  • Getting the minimum wage
  • Protection against unlawful deductions from wages
  • the statutory minimum level of paid holiday
  • the statutory minimum length of rest breaks
  • to not work more than 48 hours on average per week or to opt out of this right if they choose
  • protection against unlawful discrimination
  • protection for ‘whistleblowing’ – reporting wrongdoing in the workplace
  • to not be treated less favourably if they work part-time
  • You also have the same rights as your permanent colleagues to use any shared facilities and services provided by your employer, for example:
  • a canteen or food and drinks machines
  • a workplace creche or mother and baby room
  • car parking or transport services, like a local pick-up service or transport between sites

After 12 weeks in the job you qualify for the same rights as someone employed directly. This is known as ‘equal treatment’.  When you are about to qualify for Week 12 Rights we will confirm the changes to your pay in writing and send you an information from the client about what rights you will have qualified for.

Your rights include:

  • ‘equal pay’ – the same pay as a permanent colleague doing the same job
  • automatic pension enrolment
  • paid annual leave

After 12 weeks in the job you qualify for the same rights as someone employed directly. This is known as ‘equal treatment’.  When you are about to qualify for Week 12 Rights we will confirm the changes to your pay in writing and send you an information from the client about what rights you will have qualified for.

Your rights include:

  • ‘equal pay’ – the same pay as a permanent colleague doing the same job
  • automatic pension enrolment
  • paid annual leave

Start counting your 12 week qualifying period from your first day at work.

We ask you to complete a Declaration of work form so we know if you have any weeks that can count towards this qualifying period.

You don’t have to be at work for 12 weeks in a row – some types of leave count and there can be breaks.

  • Don’t count days on sick leave or a break
  • The qualifying period will pause for sick leave or breaks. Don’t count the days when:
  • you take a break of 6 weeks or less
  • you’re on leave due to sickness or injury for up to 28 weeks
  • you take annual leave you’re entitled to
  • the workplace closes, for example for Christmas or industrial action
  • you’re on jury service for up to 28 weeks
  • Count time off for pregnancy, paternity or adoption

Your 12 week qualifying period will continue through time off you have for:

  • pregnancy and up to 26 weeks after childbirth
  • adoption leave
  • paternity leave
  • If your leave is more than 12 weeks you’ll qualify for equal treatment when you return to work.

Start from zero for a new job or role

Your 12 weeks will start again if you:

  • get a new job at a different workplace
  • have a break of more than 6 weeks between jobs at the same workplace
  • stay at your workplace but take a new role that’s ‘substantively different’

A substantively different role is one that’s completely new, different work. It could be a combination of different:

  • skills, or requiring new training
  • pay rate
  • location
  • working hours

At Boyce Recruitment we calculate the holiday entitlement for temporary workers as an accrual of the hours worked. This is the best way to calculate the holiday entitlement as temporary workers work on a casual basis or have irregular hours.

The holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks including Bank Holidays prorated over the year, which is equivalent to 12.07 per cent of hours worked over a year. Boyce Recruitment Holiday Year runs from 1st January to 31st December each year.

The 12.07 per cent figure is 5.6 weeks’ holiday, divided by 46.4 weeks (being 52 weeks – 5.6 weeks). The 5.6 weeks are excluded from the calculation as the worker would not be at work during those 5.6 weeks in order to accrue annual leave.

Holiday pay it is accrued every week at rate of 12.07% on your weekly basic pay only which is added to your “Holiday Fund c/f” this figure is prorated depending on the hours or days you work.

In addition you will see that every week worked ½ days is added to the remaining days on your payslip.


  1. If your work 5 days and your basic pay is £125 per day, you would accumulate (= 125 X 12.07% X 5 days) £75.44 which goes into your holiday fund and ½ day holiday added to your days remaining.
  2. If you work less than 5 days the calculation will be based on the number of days worked but the days accrued still be the same. So if your work 3 days  the calculation will be as follows:

£125 x 12.07% x 3 = £45.26 and ½ day added to your days remaining. .

When you request holiday what we calculate the amount payable by dividing the total amount on your “Holiday Fund C/f” by the numbers of days you have accumulated or “Remaining Days”. So the amount paid will vary depending on how much you have accumulated and if you have worked 5 days or less.

This how you will see this on your payslip

The Agency Workers Regulations (AWR) gives agency workers the entitlement to the same or no less favourable treatment as comparable employees with respect to basic employment and working conditions, such as pay and annual leave, if and when you complete a qualifying period of 12 weeks in a particular booking, then the extra holiday element of any additional holiday pay (if any) will be shown as a separate line on you payslip under “Payments”:

You always need to confirm the holiday with your manager first and notify us of the days you are requesting as holiday by email at:

Please note that if you do not work some days and have not notified us or requested it as holiday, we will not automatically process it.

We cannot pay holiday in lieu, Holiday pay should be paid for the time when annual leave is taken or at the end of the booking if your booking finished before of the end of the leave year (1st Jan-31st Dec), this is a statutory requirement which aims to protect your rights and ensure you have the opportunity to take days off.  An employer cannot include an amount for holiday pay in the hourly rate (known as ‘rolled-up holiday pay’) the only amount we are allowed to roll up is the AWR element of extra holiday entitlement as above.

You also need to make sure that you take your holidays during the leave year (1st January to 31st December)  as we do not carry forward any unused holiday pay into the next  leave year and any holiday funds not used will be lost. We will always monitor the amount of holiday you have accumulated and notify you to take it as we are approaching the end of the year.

View temp and contract jobs